1DRL - RogueDash
Jakub Debski
2006-02-27 10:28:08 UTC
Hi,

As year ago I have no time for 7-day roguelike... so I decided to write
1DRL roguelike again :)

I had a few ideas and (as with "BomberRogue") all were remakes of classic
games.
The first one was "Rogguer" - Frogger like game, but I couldn't think up
how to make such turn based game fun.
"Lemminglike" - Lemmings, where player should protect lemmings going from
stairs to stairs. Could be entertaining,
but would be too complicated to implement in one day.
So, the choosen one is "Rogue Dash" - roguelike version of Boulder Dash :)

http://www.alamak0ta.republika.pl/roguedash.html

Rules are simple:
- collect all diam(*)nds.
- don't get killed by (M)onsters.
- watch out for falling r(O)cks.
- stairs to next level appear always on your start location.
- there are three levels to pass.

Of course it wasn't possible to balance the game in such a short time and
to fix all bugs.
Difficulty depends a lot on random placment of objects, however I tried to
make next level more challenging that previous.

Don't ask for the sources. You don't want to see them. Belive me. :)

I'm waiting for your comments.

Have fun :)

regards,
Jakub
--
"We're just toys in the hands of Xom"
www.graveyard.uni.cc - visit Roguelike Graveyard
www.alamak0ta.republika.pl - my other projects
Rami Saarinen
2006-03-03 08:14:09 UTC
Post by Jakub Debski
I had a few ideas and (as with "BomberRogue") all were remakes of classic
games.
The first one was "Rogguer" - Frogger like game, but I couldn't think up
how to make such turn based game fun.
"Lemminglike" - Lemmings, where player should protect lemmings going from
stairs to stairs. Could be entertaining,
but would be too complicated to implement in one day.
So, the choosen one is "Rogue Dash" - roguelike version of Boulder Dash :)
Quite funny. I have to test this during the weekend as BoulderDash was
THE game for a long long time.

I've been following the 7DRL posts and found them quite stimulating. Few
additions to the remakes:

1. Does anybody remember Amiga classic "Captive"? Basically Captive was
pseudo 3D dungeon bashing game much like Dungeon Master, but with
futuristic theme and "endless set of levels". The idea was to guide 4
robots through small "dungeons", kill the bad guys, reach the control
center of the dungeon complex, blow it up and run like h*ll as the
dungeon was filled quickly with fire. The player also had to find the
"coordinates" to the next system(s) to be able to continue to the next
dungeon complex. Could make a very nice coffeebreak RL?

2. Mixing IF (interactive fiction) and RL. The last level of the dungeon
would be done in IF way. That would allow more athmosphere, more "in
character" feeling and storylike ending etc. Or something like that?
Rami
Jakub Debski
2006-03-03 11:11:40 UTC
Post by Rami Saarinen
2. Mixing IF (interactive fiction) and RL. The last level of the dungeon
would be done in IF way. That would allow more athmosphere, more "in
character" feeling and storylike ending etc. Or something like that?
It could be annoying for players that don't speak English well.
Usually in IF games langauge is sophisticated which is opposite in
roguelike games.

regards,
Jakub